Candle Care & Safety
SCENTED CANDLE CARE
Busy Bee Candles are very easy to prepare, light and enjoy. When you receive your candle, trim the wick so that about 1/8 of an inch (about 3mm) of wick is exposed above the wax. Place on a non flammable surface such as glass, tiles or a purpose made candle tray. Light and enjoy.
After your candle has been burning for a couple of hours (less for the smaller candles), extinguish the candle and leave to cool. Before re-lighting, trim off the end of the wick and relight. Do this if the flame ever becomes too large. The flame height needs to be checked frequently and any soot within the jar or indicates the flame is too high and the wick needs trimming. Extinguish, cool, trim and relight.
As our candles are made from Soy wax and we use good quality cotton wicks, a layer of the wax will melt at the base of the flame and display a two tone colouration. This is perfectly normal and helps “launch” the scent into the room. This is a mark of a good candle. All of our candles will burn to the base of the jar therefore you have no wasted wax. When you extinguish your candle, the melted layer of wax will solidify as before.
Please follow these safety rules below to ensure safe and trouble free candle use.
- Always burn candles on a heat resistant surface.
- Always burn candles within sight and never leave burning candles unattended. Check your burning candle often to ensure it is burning correctly.
- Never burn candles within the reach of children or where pets can come close to the candle.
- The glass jars of container candles will become hot during use. Never touch a burning container candle.
- Keep the wick short on your candles. Trim as required and whenever the flame grows in the jar. Extinguish, cool, trim and relight. Trim using a proprietary candle wick trimmer, scissors or a tissue (grasping the wick and snapping off to the right height)
- Be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, which get hot enough to melt plastic.
- TVs are not fire-resistant objects.
- Keep your candles away from flammable surfaces. Don’t put candles near curtains, fabrics, furniture or near anything flammable.
- Keep all candles away from draughts. Draughts can cause the flame to spark and may ignite nearby objects.
- Don’t put candles under shelves. It’s easy to forget that there’s a lot of heat above a burning candle. If you put your candle under a shelf or other surface then it can burn the surface above. Make sure there’s at least three feet (one meter) between a candle and any surface above it.
- Keep clothes and hair safely away. If there’s any chance you could lean across a candle and forget it’s there, put it somewhere else. You don’t want to set fire to your clothes or your hair.
- Keep candles apart. Leave at least four inches (10cm) between two burning candles.
- Never move candles when they’re burning. Extinguish candles and leave to cool completely before moving them.
- Keep candles clean. Don’t let anything fall into the hot wax like match sticks or wick trimmings.
- Never go to sleep with a candle still burning. And never leave a burning candle or oil burner in a child’s bedroom.
- Use a snuffer or a spoon to put them out. It’s safer than blowing them out, which can send sparks and hot wax flying.
- Double-check candles are extinguished. Candles that have been put out can go on smouldering and start a fire. Make sure they’re completely out.